Hi. Yes, you. Have 3 minutes to spare? Let’s talk.
Three years from now and I’m no longer a tween. A tween, according to marvellous J.R.R. Tolkien, is a hobbit who is between 20 and 32.
Now that I’m about to turn 30, it feels like no question can offend me. So I’m going to start a Q-and-A session 30 days before my 30th birthday. (It’s not original, Tumblr has this “Ask Me Anything” tagline written somewhere on its homepage.)
You can ask me a question (not a yes-or-no question, please). Or if you’re shy, I can start by telling you what people often ask me now that I’m about to turn 30. Ready?
When are you gonna get married? Any plans to get married? If so, when?
These questions are typical but they are not very interesting, if you ask me. Think about it. If a girl knows when it’s gonna happen, she’ll tell the world. But I understand why it gets asked a lot.
“Eggs mature. No way to freeze them“, said my ex-workmate. She’s hilarious, you’ll love her, too. 🙂
If not that, some would go straight to “when are you going to have a baby”?
I’m not good at metaphor so when I alluded to my family, you could take the story literally. Yes, we are many and we ‘were’ poor.
I have seven siblings. Being the second child, I got used to seeing a new baby every two years or so. They were adorable – no question about that.
But raising kids demands so much time and energy. (Maybe parents can confirm this.) My parents had once or twice said they sacrificed their own dreams for our sake.
It’s sad to see people put off their aspirations for their kids. But sometimes it’s refreshing to see how some moms keep it cool and funny, like Bonnie of the TV series, “Baby Daddy”:
- Bonnie: When I married your father and had you two, I had to put my dreams on hold.
- Ben: What dreams?
- Bonnie : Being Single and childless.
Not all questions are too personal, thank goodness. Some are surprisingly thought-provoking. Like these ones:
Where’s the best place to stay in Cebu? What are the great spots to visit?
- Tingko Beach, Alcoy (free public beach but really good)
- Whale watching at BCD’s Place (Tan-awan, Oslob, Cebu)
- Tumalog Falls, Oslob, Cebu (Natalio Bacalso Avenue, Oslob, Cebu)
- Boljoon Church
- Oslob Church and the Ruins of Oslob Cuartel
- Baluarte (Watchtower)
- Sumilon Island
- Moalboal/Pescador Island
- Tabuelan – Durhan White Beach Resort
- Danasan Eco Park
- Bantayan Island – about 2 hrs from Hagnaya Port (Northern Cebu) to Sta. Fe town (you have to spend a night here)
- Camotes Island
- Carnaza Island (if you’re the adventurous type)